- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- mini marshmallows
- 32 oz Melting wafers
- Cocoa bomb molds (we prefer the plastic molds at Candyland Crafts in Somerville to the silicone molds)
- large plastic bowl to melt wafers (glass gets too hot and can burn the chocolate)
- spoon (to stir up the melting wafers)
- cookie sheet tray
- parchment paper
- food service gloves (so you don't get fingerprints on your bombs)
- cupcake baking pan
1) combine the 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa powder in a bowl, set aside.
2) placed your clean, DRY, molds on a flat surface, open side up.
3) in medium sized microwave safe plastic bowl melt the wafers in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until the chocolate is just melted. Don't over heat.
4) fill each mold cavity to the top (we use an ice cream scooper), scrape chocolate off the top of the mold to remove excess (a cake icing tool works great for this). Let sit for 5 minutes or until you see the chocolate around the sides of the mold begin to harden. If you GENTLY shake the mold you might be able to see the shell better and know if it's ready.
5) dump the chocolate back into a bowl, scrape the chocolate off again for a clean edge, and set the mold (open side down) on a cookie tray lined with parchment paper
6) set in freezer/fridge for a few minutes until the chocolate easily pops out of the shell when you shake the mold
7) line chocolate bombs up on a cookie tray lined with parchment
8) fill a pot with about 3" of water, bring to simmer. Place an aluminum cookie tray on top of the simmering water to heat the tray up (you're going to use this to flatten out the bomb for a super clean edge).
9) split the bombs in half, some will become 'bottoms' and some will be 'tops'. First, you'll smooth the bottoms of the bombs. Using gloved hands run the open end of the cocoa bomb down the cookie tray to flatten out the bottom of the bomb so it's smooth. Set the bomb down on the parchment lined tray with the flattened side down (helps get the bottom as smooth as possible)
10) place the bomb bottoms into the cavities on the cupcake baking pan (holds them nicely in place!) Add 2 tbs of the cocoa mix to each bottom, then fill with mini marshmallows.
11) now you'll put the tops on. Using the same technique in step 9, smooth out the bottoms and immediately place directly on top of the bottom of the bomb.
12) Now decorate it!